Rested, Tanned, Ready

Rested, Tanned, Ready. Lets do this.

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Buffing stuff

Better infrastructure



Thursday, December 4, 2014

Finished the side panels

I needed to order some more 1/4" foam so these were delayed but now done. Feels good to get over this hump.


If I'm going to get serious I'm gonna need some more serious equipment. I see another buffing wheel, more polish, a new die grinder to name a few. 

Friday, November 28, 2014

More time on trim panels


I know its the minutia of trim, but writing it down keeps me feeling like i'm moving forward.  I spent half a day grinding off anodizing, polishing and put together one more trim piece (2 to go).  This is the doldrums for sure, but I'm past the halfway point on this part of the project so that feels good and can now look ahead to the windshields.


Handles on the rear jump seats took quite a while to get the dings out and of course I added new dings as the grinder slipped and chewed up the part.

90% perfect.  The last 10% would have taken another 90% of the time
Next up:



 I remember taking them apart, what a job.  Anyway, the big question is what can I do?   Sure, I can send this out to my man Ed, but did that last project and cost too much.  This is a much smaller shield and therefore less complicated to fit in the frame.  I also am just coming off a successful set of Boston Whaler shields made from thick polycarbonate.

Polycarbonate

Heat bending jib below.


These required a heat bending jig Eric and I designed from youtube ideas.  Worked great.  Anyway, my thinking on this project, is the bend on this shield would require a bending jig plus some big heat area which I don't have.  So, I'm thinking about a thinner polycarb since you can cold bend it.  I have the upper and lower frames, so there is the pattern.  I'm going to lowes today to see how thick I can bend by hand without worrying about the frame.  Its 3/16" but I think I can go 1/8" without it looking too bad and just shim it.

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Resined some wood

Not much, but something. Its for me good too a little something every day even if its just getting on the computer and looking at ideas.  I need continuity of focus before I lose it.  This resin project was done in the basement where it was warm.  I used Vinylester diluted with 25% lacquer thinner to help it sink in.  Stunk for a while, but then again, I'm the only one who uses the basement regularly, so.

three trim panels coated with resin


I also looked up some funky fonts to create a "JetFlite" emblem whether I cut it out of a piece of stainless and tack it to the side panels or have something laser cut and glued somewhere.  Not sure yet, all I know is it needs some retro/space-age shiny emblem with the boat name inside somewhere.



Ordered up some SS staples- ones with pointy ends to get through the metal trim.  The flat ended 1/4" version just bent.

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Changed my mind again


Decided to just polish the aluminum (very highly) and add a protector every once in a while.  Seems Mothers, Alumiclear, or Sharkhide are fine for this maintenance.  Now I'm not a maintenance guy at all but in this one instance, I need to have this boat sing in the shininess department.  Also, I left a very polished part outside for some time and it still looks great.

Here is how the rear trim corner looks at various stages

shiny, halfway done,  and rough strait off da boat (l to r).

So the process is now:
Red reloc scotch discs to remove big dings and the anodizing then 220g discs on the die grinder, 400g, then to the buffing wheel with a pass using grey, then rouge. Phew.

The die grinder (air) with 220, the 400 and the 2" red reloc.
In addition today, I "West system'd" the broken emblem and cleaned up the excess matt fiberglass on the back side.  Looks fine from the front.


Then finished my first trim panel:

The wrinkles are just in the fabric and will flatten out.

Mirror finish on the alum trim does not show up in this pic

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Back to it (again)

OK, after a long hiatus to get my excitement back, I started to re-do the panel vinyl and trim and really figure out how to finish the trim (clear coat, high polish, what?).

I practiced on a couple pieces for painting with clear:  (A) test with Spray 2K clear, a two part clear coat that comes in a can for about $25 a pop. and (B) test with Awlgrip clear 2 part.  I also got more practice in how to buff these various pieces out.  For the spraying parts, I got them to about 400 grit then scuffed them up with scotchbright pads.

Got everything out for this project
Pretty much used a red scotch bright pad on the die grinder to get out the deep gouges, then went to 320g on the grinder, then 400, then scuffed them with parallel grain with a red pad.  Maybe the paint would stick to a shiny surface, but I doubt it.  Some dings were deep!  Can't these Jetflite drivers drive?

First pass at removing dings



Here is a piece dings removed, shined up, then scuffed parallel.
We'll see how it looks with clear coat

Next went back to the panels.  I sanded some thickness out of the too-fat plywood so the trim would have a better chance to fit on.

I also trimmed the 1/4" foam on the front side so it wasn't
as much of an interference.

Stainless staples.  Now if I only had air in the warm basement,
 I could use the HF air stapler!
Next, in my quest to reduce clutter and downsize, I'm going to post for sale, the extra parts.

Friday, November 29, 2013

Trim panel #1

Fail

The plywood is a bit too thick as maybe is the foam.  Believe it or not, the trim wouldn't fit.  It got me to think more about how this is all gonna work and how to buff these trim pieces out.  They are very hard coated and thin at the same time.  Polishing didn't do anything much.  I may leave them as is and live with the few imperfections there are.

It'll give me something else to think about while on my vacation.